Product attributes are characteristics or descriptive features of a product. When an attribute is assigned to your products a buyer can easily filter your products based on that attribute. Tour length, difficulty level, size, experience level, etc. are all good examples of product attributes. To view a list of all active attributes already created for your account, visit Products > Settings > Attributes.
This article covers the following topics:
- Create a Product Attribute
- Organizing Attributes with Groups
- Translate a Product Attribute
- Archive a Product Attribute
- Assign Product Attributes
- Frequently Asked Questions about Product Attributes
Create a Product Attribute
Product attributes allow you to add additional descriptive details about a product that can be used by customers to filter your products and narrow in on the exact type of product or experience they're looking for.
1. To create a product attribute, log into your TRYTN account and navigate to Products > Settings >Attributes > Create. On the Create Attributes screen, you will see a Name field where you can enter a title for your attribute:
Name is the descriptive name of the attribute (the value). You can think about attributes as groupings of similar characteristics (e.g., Level of Difficulty, Certification Required, Family Friendly, etc.). For level of difficulty, you might create attributes like "Easy," "Medium," and "Hard" or perhaps "Category 1," "Category 2," etc.
Note: Each attribute must be created individually. So, if you wanted to assign "Easy" and "Family Friendly" to a product, you will need to create 2 separate attributes: one named "Easy" and another named "Family Friendly."
2. Click Save Changes to save your attribute, and you're ready to Assign Product Attributes.
Organizing Attributes with Groups
If you find yourselves with many attributes, you might consider creating attribute groupings within TRYTN. When you attributes are assigned to an attribute group they will be presented together to the buyer. Here is an example:
Note that attributes within groups cannot be sorted. If you wish to have them displayed in a special order you will have to create them in that order.
Translate a Product Attribute
See Publish Shop Content in Other Languages for details on how to translate a content page.
Archive a Product Attribute
To archive an attribute that you no longer need, log into your TRYTN account and navigate to Products > Settings > Attributes. Find the attribute you wish to archive from the Active Attributes table and select Archivefrom the Actions menu. The attribute will then be removed from the active section and placed into the archived section on this page.
What happens when I archive an attribute?
Archiving an attribute prevents it from being selected from the product settings screens going forward, but any product that already has this attribute selected will continue to use the attribute.
How do I reactivate an archived attribute?
If you need an archived attribute in the future, you can easily reactivate it. Simply locate the attribute in the Archived Attributes table and click Actions > Restore. The attribute will be added back into the active section and available for selection on your products.
Assign Product Attributes
To assign attributes to your products on the TRYTN platform, start by navigating to the product that should include this attribute. Here's how:
1. Click Products in the main site navigation and select the product type.
2. Locate an active product and click the associated Actions menu to select Advanced Settings for that product. Note: Any archived product will need to be restored before an attribute can be added.
3. From your product's Advanced Settings screen, look under the Display Settings to find Selected Attributes (highlighted below).
Note: If no prior attributes have been added, this field will be empty:
4. Click the field under Selected Attributes to open a list of all active attributes created for your account. Simply click on all attributes that apply to your product; as they are added, they will appear in green within this field. Any unwanted attributes can be deselected by clicking the "x" to the right of that attribute.
5. When you are finished, click Save Changes at the bottom of the page to activate your attributes for this product, and you're all set!
Note: You can view all products assigned to a particular attribute from the Attributes page at Products > Settings > Attributes. Just click the green + to expand the attribute information and all products will be shown below it in the Used On row (example below).
Frequently Asked Questions about Product Attributes
Does a product have to be assigned an attribute?
No. It is recommended that you add in attributes so users can more easily filter down to the results they desire, however it is not required.
Is there a limit to how many product attributes a product can be assigned?
No, a product can have as many attributes as you wish.
How does a category differ from a product attribute?
A category is a broad categorization of products. While product attributes can also fall into this classification, product attributes are intended to describe features or attributes of various products.
Example: Categories vs. Attributes
When thinking about the water sport activities your company offers, you might categorize your rafting activities under a "Rafting" Category (to differentiate them from Kayaking or Paddleboard activities). Then you may assign Attributes, such as difficulty level (Category 1-5), season (best in the spring for winter run-off), or things like "Adults Only Experience" that apply to your rafting activities.